Cup of Tyh Font Logo Transparent

Application for Temporary Resident Visa (Canada)

Anyone who intends to visit to Canada from a temporary resident visa-required country need to apply for a visa to the Canadian Visa office responsible for the country of origin of the applicant. Processing of application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) was very fast, during the time that my parents applied for their visa, it only took 2 weeks to process the application for the TRV and around 3 weeks to process the extension.

I recently, visited Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to see if I can apply for parents’ sponsorship, but, apparently CIC has already received 5,000 complete applications and the new intake into the Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents program will again pause until next year.   Therefore, for permanent resident or citizens who wish to bring their families to Canada, the Temporary Resident Visa and/or Super Visa is the quicker and easier way to let them come to Canada.

Here is the some useful information (from CIC website) that you may use in processing a TRV application. Temporary resident (visitor) visa is needed, depending on the applicant’s citizenship. Citizens of other countries, like my country – Philippines, need a visa to visit or transit Canada.

There are two types: a single entry visa and a multiple entry visa. Both are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.

A multiple entry visa allows visitors to come and go from Canada for six months at a time, without having to reapply each time. It can be valid for up to 10 years, or one month before your passport expires, whichever is earlier. The person issued with TRV must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry date of his/her visa.

A single entry visa allows the person to enter Canada for one time. Once the person with single entry visa left Canada, excluding travel to the United States and St. Pierre and Miquelon, the person will need a new visa to travel back to and enter Canada.

Aside from the TRV, the person intending to visit to Canada must:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • be in good health,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you need can vary. it depends on things like how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives.)

Aside from the above requirements and documents, a letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada is also required. A permanent resident or a citizen of Canada may provide a letter of invitation to his/her family member or friend to support the latter’s application. The letter should explain how the person providing the letter would help the applicant. For example, you may offer to pay for plane tickets or accommodation. A letter of invitation can help, but it does not guarantee the person will get a visa.

The letter of invitation must include this information about the person being invited:

  • complete name,
  • date of birth,
  • address and telephone number,
  • your relationship to the person,
  • the purpose of the trip,
  • how long the person plans to stay in Canada,
  • where the person will stay, and how he or she will pay for things
  • when the person plans to leave Canada.

The person providing the letter, on the other hand must include information about himself, including:

  • complete name,
  • date of birth,
  • address and telephone number in Canada,
  • job title,
  • whether you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, a photocopy of a document proving your status in Canada, such as Canadian certificate of birth; a Canadian citizenship card, a copy of your PR card or your IMM 1000 proof of landing, if you are a permanent resident,
  • details of your family, such as names and dates of birth of your spouse and dependents (this is mandatory for the parent and grandparent super visa), and
  • the total number of people living in your household, including people you sponsored whose sponsorship is still in effect (this is mandatory for the parent and grandparent super visa).

Another thing that an applicant needs to know is the fee that he/she needs to pay to apply for TRV:

Multiple Entry $100
Single Entry $100
Visitor visa – maximum fee for family $500
Transit Visa (for less than 48 hours in Canada) FREE
Extension of Authorization to stay in Canada as a visitor (temporary resident) $100

Application for TRV may be done online or through paper application.

Quick Facts:

  • Starting between September and December 2013, citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory will need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.
  • Starting on February 6, 2014, all visa applicants will automatically be considered for a multiple entry visa. The visa officer reviewing your application may be able to give you this type of visa even if you applied for a single entry visa.
  • All applicants who are eligible for a multiple entry visa will be issued one. However, not all applicants will be eligible for a multiple entry visa. This remains at the discretion of a visa officer.
  • A letter of invitation does not guarantee that a visa will be issued to the applicant. Visa officers assess the applicant to decide whether the applicant meet the terms of Canada’s immigration law.
  • Medical Exam is not generally required to applicants who intend to visit for 6 months or less. However, applicants for TRV need medical exam, if (1) he/she has lived temporarily for six or more consecutive months; (2) he/she is applying for Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.


Application For Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa – TRV). Retrieved May 12, 2014.



Momsiecle is short for Momsie's Circle. I started my first blog on a free blogging platform in 2006 as a just for fun blog. When my family and I moved to Winnipeg in 2009, I started to write about my challenges and discoveries about living in Canada as an immigrant. In 2012, I decided to make a place to come for aspiring Canadian immigrants and for people who are embracing life in the “new world” that they are in.

Share This:


Let's stay in touch

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Cup of Tyh

Thanks for stopping by, as I make this space to be my superwoman wannabe diary, I want to share my life experiences as a mom, an immigrant, a financial advisor, a mortgage specialist and my life in general.

You can find me here

Stay in Touch