As announced by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on December 14, 2016, a qualified Canadian citizen or permanent resident who wants to sponsor your parents or grandparents, you apply completing an online form and submitting it to IRCC. For 2017, the sponsors will be randomly chosen from those who complete the online form.
Here are the steps on how to sponsor your parents or grandparents:
- If you want to sponsor your parents or grandparents, you must submit the online form to express your interest in applying. There will be 10,000 entries chosen at random that will be invited to apply to sponsor their parents or grandparents.
- The online form is not an application. Interested applicants 30 days (from January 3, 2017 noon – February 2, 2017 noon, Eastern Standard Time) to express their interest in applying to be a sponsor in the PGP. Applicants must not submit their online form more than once as it will not increase the chances of being chosen, duplicate forms will be removed before the 10,000 entries is chosen at random.
- Once the sponsor has completed the online form, you will be directed to a confirmation page where you will get a confirmation number. Keep this number for your records.
- If you are chosen at random, you will receive an email telling you that you can submit an application to sponsor your parents or grandparents. The 2017 forms and guide will be available on our website. If you are invited, you will have 90 days to submit your application. On January 09, 2017, IRCC will post the updated application package forms and guidelines. So, make sure to visit their website before you send your application. Details on where to send the application are available in the package.
- Those who submitted that were not chosen will be advised through an email and may complete the online form again in 2018.
Other important information that an interested sponsor should know:
Eligibility. Sponsor your parents and grandparents. You can sponsor your parent or grandparent if you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and if you are 18 years of age or older
To be a Sponsor. You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative if necessary. This agreement also states that the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support themselves. Dependent children under age 19 do not have to sign this agreement. Quebec residents must sign an “undertaking” with the province of Quebec—a contract binding the sponsorship. You must promise to provide financial support for the relative and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of three to ten years, depending on their age and relationship to you. This time period begins on the date they become a permanent resident.
Invitation to apply to sponsor a parent or grandparent. If you are chosen, you will be contacted by email and invited to apply to sponsor your parents or grandparents. You will have 90 days from the date we contact you to send us your complete application. Invitations to apply are not transferable. For example, you cannot use the invitation to sponsor your spouse’s parents or give it to a friend or other family member.
Paying for my application to sponsor a parent or grandparent. If you are chosen and complete the application, you must pay online using a credit card. This is mandatory. We will not accept any other kind of payment. The credit card you use to pay fees must be valid for at least nine months from the date you submit the application.
Proof of income to sponsor a parent or grandparent. You must send your Notices of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the past three years. Note that your Notice of Assessment from last year may not yet be available, so you will need to provide your Notices of Assessment for the three previous consecutive years.
Submitting application to sponsor parents and grandparents. PGP sponsorship applications cannot be hand-delivered. The Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario is not open to the public and no in-person deliveries are accepted.
Courier service to use to submit application to sponsor a parent or grand-parent. If you are invited to apply, applications for parent and grandparent sponsorship must be individually packaged and sent to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M). If you want to use a courier, the office accepts local couriers and major courier services. Couriers must have waybills and require a signature by CPC-M staff to prove that it was delivered, when it was delivered and that it was accepted (for their client’s tracking purposes). CPC-M does not accept envelopes or packages from non-courier services, such as taxi companies, trying to deliver to the office.
Changes in age of dependents affect sponsorship undertakings for dependent children. Effective August 1, 2014, the duration of undertaking for sponsorship of dependent children of the sponsor or of the sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or for children to be adopted in Canada has changed: (i) If the person is less than 19 years of age when they become a permanent resident, the duration of sponsorship undertaking ends on the earlier of either a) the last day of the 10-year period following the day on which they become a permanent resident or b) the day on which the foreign national reaches 22 years of age; or (ii) if the dependent child is 19 years of age or older when they become a permanent resident, the duration of sponsorship undertaking ends on the last day of the 3-year period following the day on which they become a permanent resident.
Sponsoring more than one person through the parents and grandparents program. You may sponsor more than one person if you want to. If you are invited to apply, you can sponsor your parents and/or grandparents (separately in the case of divorce). The sponsor will need to submit separate applications for each person (or couple) you sponsor. We will process each application separately. You will have to meet the income requirements for all people you apply to sponsor.
Notice – Changes for 2017 Parent and Grandparent Program, retrieved January 3, 2017.
Determine your eligibility – Sponsor your parents and grandparents, retrieved January 3, 2017.
Help Centre – Sponsoring your family, retrieved January 3, 2017